About Me

My photo
A Leo. Others perceive me as arrogant, pompous, aggressive, dominating, disparaging, unforgiving, demanding, impatient, obnoxious, loud and uncouth, intimidating, poor listener, generous, kind, intelligent, and open. Agree with the attributes as perceived by other. See or portray myself as original, flexible, skeptical, philosophical, logical, rational, analytical, interesting, hardworking, knowledgeable, keen learner, mischievous, worldly wise. Self aware of short coming and trying to change. Progress slow.

Labels

Jonathon Hoenig

Gurus

I quote Jonathan Hoenig in many of my posts in this blog and will continue to do so though I am a contrarian in the heart.  I  love Hoenig’s writings and thinking.  Jonathan Hoenig is the portfolio manager at Capitalistpig Asset Management, a Chicago-based hedge fund.  He wrote a weekly column known as Tradecraft (link below) in Smartmoney. I read and re-read his articles.  I gone through his writing in the archive.  He is a versatile trader with a long horizon in maximizing gains by portfolio management and style of a trader in cutting loss (my understanding only and I may not be right in this – remember I am still a pig and is likely to remain one – maybe slightly better – able to walk on 2 legs).


Instead of being a gambler, investors should think of themselves as gardeners.
Just as an acorn turns into on oak tree, positions should grow to be large — not start out that way.
The Essential Truths, by Jonathan Hoenig May 22, 2006  
http://www.smartmoney.com/investing/stocks/The-Essential-Truths-19512/#ixzz0hQ7zO16J

His writing incorporated many guidelines on defensive and safe practice in trading which he wrote so simplistically that you can remember it by heart.  I nitpick his ideas, select those that I can use and practice it (again I may be wrong to do but if I practice what he preached on defensive and safe trading, I will definitely survived and that is a big IF).  Found his approach practical and sensible very different from the other school of “value” or “long term” Gurus who require us to passive and put a lot of faith in the long term.  One of my favorite extract from his writing:
Our job as traders isn't to know the future, but to survive it.
The best way to avoid getting hurt is to avoid putting yourself in a position to be hurt.
I keep my positions small and my risk manageable.
My high-school hockey coach was right: A good defense is your best offense.
Size Matters, Jonathan Hoenig, March 1, 2001  
http://www.smartmoney.com/investing/stocks/size-matters-10098/

No comments:

Post a Comment